Monday 16 March 2020

VP Interview: Leonardoxangel

My second interview choice on VP Vibrancy is Leonardoxangel. If it was not for Leo's constant praise, kind nature and understanding approach, I would not have been socially active on Instagram. My time of being social on the internet died back in 2012 and didn't return. I started my Instagram account as a visual diary of my gaming. Gradually through his interactions I began to get my confidence back, start talking to others in the community and now Instagram, for the most part, is a happy and safe place for me to feel at home. 

Last of Us

It felt only right that Leo was my next choice. Such a bright shining light in a web that can at times seem very dark and toxic. His enthusiasm for the hobby and life reminded me that people for the most part are decent and kind, but sadly sometimes the negative voices are heard so much louder than those that we should be listening to more.

I hope you enjoy hearing about Leo's virtual photography journey as much as I did.

Red Dead Redemption 2


Leo what got you into Virtual Photography and why do you think it is important as a hobby?

I have to say that what got me into virtual photography is the joy of taking the shots. I used to be a private personal page on Instagram and quickly got very bored, that is until I saw a few game shots and I thought: "This looks fun!". One of the first VP shots I saw was by St0rmyhaze and her photography style was amazing. This got me even more excited and inspired to try to join in. The first time I ever used a photo mode was The Last of Us but I didn’t get into it more until I got Horizon Zero Dawn that had more photo settings and options.

Horizon Zero Dawn

I believe the hobby is important because it not only gives us joy to take these photographs but also creates art in the process. These shots, portrait or landscape, regardless of subject matter or focus, still have an imprint with a feeling attached. A great memory was taken in each photograph and the shots capture that. It is also a great escape that helps us cope with our emotions, but like any photography you can convey so much emotion within a picture that you take.

Far Cry New Dawn

That was a wonderful answer that I think most Virtual Photographers can relate to. Out of all the games you have played and shot. Which mean the most to you and why?

That’s a good question and a hard one too, I would like to say Horizon Zero Dawn and I say this because it means the most to me. This was my first free roam photo mode I ever experienced, that had facial expression changing, body posing, that you can change the time of day and one of the first shots I ever posted since February 4th of 2019. My first shot was of Aloy looking beyond the mountains while standing on a rock. At the time when I took this shot and posted it I was really shy, but the next day I posted another shot, and the next day another and so on. This then got me to be more confident to try shots in other games as well and I have been posting since.

Horizon Zero Dawn

You’ve been pretty active in the VP community. What does the community mean to you on Instagram and why would you encourage other photographers to get involved?

To me the VP community means a place where everyone is who are into the same hobby.  A place where we support each other and encourage each other to take more strong and compelling shots. As a supporter we help spread the love by mentioning people's work, to help them gain more support and we also support each other as friends. No matter how apart we are we can still be a unified community.

Dead or Alive 6

How would I encourage people to be more active? I would say try to post once a day and make a schedule based on these shots that you take. I find themes help me like #fightclubfridayvp or #monstermondayvp These themes by amazing photographers and friends really help me have goals for the week. Joining one of the many themes or events that take place weekly or monthly, would help you out to be more active be joining in the fun and make creative shots.

#FightClubFridayVP shot from Dead or Alive 6

I know from having looked at your shots that you edit your work, sometimes uploading more than one version of an edit. Is their any tips you could give any new VPs out there when it comes to editing their photographs?

Hmmm... I am far from being an editing professional, but would say to the new VPs if you want to try to edit your shots I would recommend an app called Snapseed. Here you can edit, place filters onto your shots and tweak it to your hearts content. I say practice with a splash effect edit on a watcher (from Horizon Zero Dawn) or anything that only got 2 colours and use the blue light on the watcher as main focus of splash effect. You can use the brush tools to only focus on that and everything with that colour. And for black and white you can use the app to help you darken contrast or shadowing on a character or shot. I hope this helps you out!

Horizon Zero Dawn showcasing Leo's splash effect description above.

Thank you for your insight Leo. Now my final question is, what games are you most looking forward to shooting in the future and why?

To be honest the game I am looking forward to shooting most is The Last of Us Part II, I have been a very huge fan of Part I. The story and the characters, even the enemies are beautiful and amazingly well written. The photo mode for the game was pretty great, it didn't have lots of options or fields like in other games but it’s because it’s a older game. Part II will be more advanced than the first and I will be playing as my favourite character of all time Ellie Williams. To be able to use has the photo mode and her new model will be more awesome then ever before and that’s why am looking forward to The Last of Us Part II thanks you for the interview was a really fun

Last of Us


No comments:

Post a Comment