Friday 13 March 2020

Tamaki Arrives in DOA6



Unlike other fighting games, the Dead or Alive series has a special place in my heart. I first played DOA 3 when I was going through a tough period in life and since then I have played every incarnation aside from DOAX 3

The game play has a wonderful scissor, paper, stone mechanic using hits, counters and grabs that means anyone can pick it up easily, yet it is very hard to master. Personally I still can't finish one characters training mode and I am a veteran of the series. Against the AI or other players, button bashing simply will not work against a mildly skilled opponent, you have to mix things up or you become predictable and easy to defeat.


Nearly all of the DOA games have had a photo mode, long before having a photo mode was really popular in games. I like to think this is so you can capture that perfect moment, but realistically, I imagine it exists to capture that up skirt shot or Kasumi wrapping her legs around another woman's head...

Today marks the launch of Tamaki into DOA6, one of the "lewd" characters introduced into Dead or Alive Extreme 3: Fortune/ Venus / Venus Vacation/ Scarlet. Like many fighting games DOA took a small step back from the objectification of women in games, keeping their release of DOAX 3 out of many countries. To get a copy of the game in Europe or North America will cost you a fair amount on ebay


In Japan however, the more perverse aspects of the game are pushed to a greater extreme. Yanking at the girls swimsuits or bath towels is encouraged and the showcase of string bikinis and school girl outfits is rampant. 

I am pleased to announce that this has not arrived with Tamaki into DOA 6

Tamaki is a swimsuit model-turned fashion designer, who is described as very mature and charming but also has a drinking habit. Perhaps due to her "older sister-type demeanour" and "lewd aspects", she picked up the martial art of Aikido and can now throw down with the best of them.


In game she handles well and is different enough from the other fighters to warrant a purchase. As the first and only Aikido fighter in the series I was eager to give her a try. Tamaki comes with a whole host of costumes to unlock unlike a few of her DLC counterparts.


If you haven't given Dead or Alive a spin I would recommend downloading the free version with four fighters and giving it a play. The photo mode is simple and straightforward. It is accessed when viewing replays or simulating a combat between two AI opponents. You can pause time, snap some shots and try out something a little different. Me and my group of gaming buddies like to dip in and out of DOA and not a week goes by where I don't have a relaxed bout or two with my girlfriend.

Of course the in game purchases are tantalising but not required to play the game and enjoy the various modes available. 

Due to the speed that I finished this article in and the lack of popularity in the VP community for DOA6, all shots in this article were taken by me.







No comments:

Post a Comment