Monday 23 March 2020

Doom Eternal

I was a late adopter of DOOM (2016). I loved Wolfenstein and the classic DOOM when I first played them and I do still frequent them from time to time. There was something about a modern DOOM that just did't appeal to me. Wolfenstien New Order was fun but I didn't think I would enjoy something so linear and level based again. 


Shot by Focal Disposition

Well like most judgements I throw upon myself, I was wrong, horribly wrong... DOOM was a visceral masterpiece of high octane, demon-smashing violence. The story was there but under the surface (If you wanted to read the files and look at the information you collected during the game) but it didn't let the narrative slow the pace. As a first person shooter, it couldn't be more pure and true to its genre. The action is frantic, fast and frenzied. If you aren't shooting something, being harassed or crushing a demons head with your first, your probably diving off of a freakishly high ledge. 



Shot by Gamezyscreenshotz

Using this as a platform to launch from id Software could have just thrown some new levels together and delivered a satisfying sequel. Instead they have taken the beauty of the 2016 game and bulked it out in every direction.



Shot by Focal Disposition

Eternal
is a direct sequel to the 2016 game. We see DOOM guy return to earth to find it swarmed by demons. Already possessing all of the abilities you unlocked in the previous game, you are free to shoot and smash your way through the games more open and beautifully designed levels. Like the previous title, it is important to stay moving, dodging both the hordes of hellfire and the denizens of the abyss. Being stationary will result in a quick and merciless death.  This swift and fast-paced combat remains mostly unchanged, the gruesome finishers are as brutal and satisfying as ever and we have a host of new weaponry at the marines disposal.



Shot by Gamezyscreenshotz

The soundtrack is in itself as impressive as the game, really making the atmosphere and violence far more potent. Much like its predecessor the score is fresh but still quintessentially DOOM

As I have stated before I do not run this blog to review games. I am here to share the hype and the enjoyment of the hobby. Having not played it myself it would be a pointless exercise to slam a review together, but you probably already know if it looks like something you would enjoy. 


Shot by Focal Disposition

I am hyped for it and I hope in the near future I get to give it a spin. The streams and extracts I have seen, were more than enough to get my blood pumping and my trigger finger lusting for blood. Instead I leave you this overview and the wonderful virtual photography of Gamezyscreenshots and Focal Disposition


I feel these shots say more about the game than I ever could.


Shot by Gamezyscreenshotz


No comments:

Post a Comment