Saturday 28 March 2020

Gaming is Wonderful: Pikachu Saved my Life


The third Gaming is Wonderful post tells the story of how someone managed to use gaming to cope with the harsh turns life takes, isolation and self hate. Sometimes all someone needs is someone to talk, someone to listen. Think of those close to you, especially now most of us are in self isolation. Is there anyone you could be giving a phone call to? Your voice could benefit more than you know. Reach out, who knows what your simple conversation could do for someone.

Throughout this article the anonymous writer chose Stellaosityvp's work to be featured. I hope their words inspire you. Despite how dark life may seem, there is always light eventually at the end of the road. Stay safe x
Pokemon Yellow did indeed save my life. That’s a statement that I seldom think about but it’s true. At the time I was going through big life changes. I didn’t even really know what gaming was. Of course I knew what it was but I’d never done it. 

Control and Horizon Zero Dawn by Stellaosityvp

Through this time I was having severe identity issues. Having no family and no one to turn to I took to drink and temporary companionship as an escape. It was a brutal time. Time just wasn’t a thing anymore, the days blended together through insomnia and sleep. I’d get violent often with my roommate, as well as many others and eventually ended up in hospital having attacked someone and made an attempt on my life.

Horizon Zero Dawn by Stellaosityvp
It was at this time I was introduced to Pokémon. Under a form of house arrest I was trapped in my room for two weeks with little to do. My roommate gave me his (NintendoDS and Pokemon Yellow to play. I must have played that game at least 12 times from start to finish. People offered me more games, but I wasn’t interested. For me the chubby Pikachu was the only thing keeping me alive and sane.

 Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed Odyssey by Stellaosityvp

As the weeks bled into months I eventually was social again. I quit the excessive drinking, stopped being so self destructive and managed to get a job. During this development I inherited more consoles and got into gaming more and more, to the point where I had a whole host of games and something of every genre.

Horizon Zero Dawn by Stellaosityvp

It kept me out of trouble and distracted me from many harsh realities until I was ready to deal with them. Now being a part of the virtual photography community fills me with an even greater joy. I feel I am no longer an island on my own, but a thriving individual that has a lot in common with others. It’s inspiring to be around so many like minded people and I hope that such inspiration never stops coming. So a big thank you to all of you out there!


Throughout the article I requested to have Stellaosityvp's work, as it always fills me with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment