Sunday 7 June 2020

Community Stops the Pain


Things have been quiet on the Gaming is Wonderful front for some time but this week I had three people approach me. With the uncertainty and tension in the world, these people felt that it was time to share their stories. Today we deal with discrimination and empowerment. I hope you are inspired as much as I was by this story from a member of the gaming community. 


I don't really know where to start having never written anything like this before. I don't really do virtual photography I just play games, but I like looking at it and wanted to share my story. I want all of you VPs to know what you do is awesome and that you should keep going. People like me like the added content in your posts. It isn't respected enough as an art form or hobby. 

 My life has been alright really for the most part. I am lucky I have a very understanding Mom and Aunt who have always loved me no matter what. They encouraged me and allowed me to feel comfortable with who I am and what I have grown to become. 

I play this with my friends most!

At a very early age I knew I was gay.  I didn't hang with the girls, play with dolls and I wasn't into pink so you can remove those stereotypes, like no one would have known. I fit in with the crowd at school but always wanted to be with a guy. I had a few "girlfriends", but they knew the deal. They were close friends that pretended to be with me to make life easier. The thing was my sexual preference was never a big deal, as to all the guys I was just another guy, I was popular and I managed to have quiet relationships on and off growing up. Once I became more confident I was able to be more open and proud. The people at my new work know I am gay as does my family. I am proud and all is well on that front. Regretfully abuse does happen, especially at night but I can deal. Not that we should have to...

The thing that was hard and proved to be a challenge in my school was being black. Being black was tough in a predominantly white and racist neighbourhood. I thought this would be over when I grew up and moved on in life, but then I started to face hate in my hobby. During online gaming I am regularly targeted by racism, on forums and on live chat on my headset. Often people will throw around racial slurs, most of the time its kids and that is what bothers me the most. Kids should be educated better.  It is clear from spending time online, go to any huge forum or Youtube and you'll see some form of racist abuse. 

Beats the hell out of Fortnite.

I won't lie I am no shy lamb, but some of these comments reduced me to tears, made me question my life and the world around me. Thankfully the online communities I ended up being a part of were very diverse and accepting. They saved me, made me see that actually nice and decent people exist. 

It is this social gaming that gives me strength most days and leads me to be more confident in life. The community stops the pain. I can be black, gay and proud and maybe one day the world will be more accepting and wake up.

I am a person, I have a heart and soul. Judge me on my deeds not on my race, gender, sexual preference or my appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment