Friday 26 June 2020

Plat Runner 05: Peasant Knight


I first purchased Peasant Knight when I bought my PS4 Pro. I wanted a swift easy platinum to get my collection started. My expectations were low and I had just finished My Name is Mayo. At first I was drawn in by its simplicity. Two buttons: Jump and stop are all that is required to play. The first few levels passed in mere seconds and then the real game started. 

As previously stated in my other articles I am a huge fan of indie gaming and spent most of my early days only playing Gameboy games and PC indie titles. 
Peasant Knight takes the runner genre of gaming and boils it down to its most basic form, then converts it into something else. Much like Zero Zero Zero Zero, the game has a perfect balance of frustration meets reward. The levels are no more than a few seconds and only 47 are required to gain the platinum.

The boss that I thought I could not beat, defeated.

Over on PSN Profiles the game is rated 2/10 for difficulty. I’m not sure why or how as the game is a challenge. On my initial purchase, I reached a point where I felt I couldn’t get any further and resigned myself to not getting the platinum. Yet, a few months later I picked it up and got that sweet reward and not only did I attain the trophy but I had a blast doing it.

Despite the games simplicity the constant introduction of new mechanics and hazards keeps you on your toes. The levels are short enough that you don’t have time to get bored. While not as hard going as Zero Zero Zero Zero it isn’t for the feint of heart or those with high blood pressure. You will die constantly. The more you die the more rewarding the victory will be.

All of the games trophies come through natural gameplay.

Out of all the Ratalaikia games I have purchased it took me the longest to finish in terms of start and end date. My friend tells me in the US it is currently on sale for $1. That’s a dollar well spent! 

Peasant Knight may not be the prettiest out of the companies releases, but it has an undeniable charm about it. For those into the gruelling punishment of games like Super Meat Boy, it’s a must play. A short sweet burst of arcade fun.

Tips and Tricks
  • Persist you’ll get there
  • You only have to do each level once
  • It’s all in the timing. Learn how hazards work and adapt accordingly. 
  • The moving platforms are a pain you have to stop in the air before you hit them. Otherwise you get left behind.
  • The Platinum didn't pop for me but I had actually earned it, so don't panic!
That sweet Platinum Pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment