Thursday 2 July 2020

Plat Runner 06: Clash Force


Yesterday I received my first preview copy of a game from Ratalaika Games. Clash Force is due out tomorrow and I feel very fortunate to have gained a copy ahead of release.


Ratalaika Games is well known for its short, affordable and easy to platinum games. Clash Force is no exception at the price point of €4.99 and a plat time of 25-45 minutes based on your skill set. While this is covering the PS4 version, it will also apply to the Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch.

The game itself is a tribute to side scrolling platform shooters of the past. Using only the standard button to shoot made the game a tense, classic feeling game of the genre. The bosses were challenging and the levels fairly brutal. I managed to get to level 18 before starting to use the turbo fire mode.


Holding either of the right triggers allows for a constant stream of firepower. For those just in it for the platinum trophy, this will get you through the required 15 levels with very little challenge whatsoever. It removes most of the threat and vanquishes the majority of enemies before they even enter the screen. On my second play through I hit level 15 in 20 mins using this tactic. 

For fans of the classic platforming, Clash Force feels like Sonic meets Mega Man. It’s fast paced, vibrant and athletically pleasing pixel artwork takes me back to my early days of gaming. It gave me the same rush as the classics did back then, made my thumb hurt and put a smile on my face. 


Another two features that I really enjoyed were the lack of respawning enemies. In most games such as the near impossible Ninja Gaiden, if you made the mistake of going to far back enemies in front of you and behind you would respawn, often making a tactical retreat impossible. In Clash Force enemies stay defeated, making a hit and run tactic very preferable. The other feature I loved is the jumping. Out of nearly all of the indie titles I’ve played, the jumping in clash force is fluid and so smooth to control. The height and distance is easy to determine, so much so that most of the time I didn’t have to deploy consider jump timings or large drops. I found I could jump weave through hazards and land where I needed to.

The game is short at a mere 21 levels but on harder difficulties and not using the turbo function, you will get more than your moneys worth. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and for any gamer it will be another platinum in the 
cabinet. 



Hints and Tips

  • If you are finding an area especially challenging use the hit and run tactic, approach, shoot and back up.
  • The hardest level (In regards to the platinum) I found was level 5. Use the platforms to jump ahead and doge the bats. I didn’t even worry about killing most of them.
  • If stuck (or lazy) use R1 or R2 to turbo fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment